Data-Driven TCO Delivers Visibility, Confidence
The cloud promises to be more efficient, save time and money, and enable organizations to improve their overall execution. These are fair assumptions, although every organization is different. Each organizations has different requirements, different applications and stacks — different costs. Existing costs must be accurately measured before a true cloud cost comparison can be performed.
Now that cloud-computing pushes the concept of operating expenditures vs. capital expenditures, there is more accountability into the true cost of running IT environments, applications and stacks. Certainly, before an organization abandons its existing investments it must survey and properly account for its Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
Exoprise delivers advanced TCO metrics built upon a broad array of measurements including application usage and user behavior.
Not just an ROI Calculator
Simple, Return-on-Investment (ROI) or TCO calculators are everywhere, and are a common feature on many cloud-based service provider websites. These manual-entry, spreadsheet-style tools provide useful reference points, but nowhere near enough information to drive an enterprise IT strategy.
To arrive at complete, actionable TCO measurements, organizations need to:
- Capture actual end-user usage information
- Aggregate detailed storage, archival and backup sizes and requirements
- Capture detailed WMI asset information to measure hardware support costs, power + cooling, age and Mean-Time-Between-Failure (MBTF)
- Segment end-users to determine quality of service and Service-Level-Agreements (SLAs)
- Survey 3rd party software, usage and costs
What’s the cloud really going to cost?
The total cost of cloud computing is hard to determine. Service providers offer entry-level solutions at price points that fail to reflect the true cost of broad deployment or take into account existing infrastructure costs, end-user preferences, or related training and migration costs.
Organizations are left to wonder:
- What will it take to really make the move?
- Will support costs go through the roof?
- What will be the cost of downtime?
- What kind of additional security services are required?
Are you CloudReady?
Exoprise CloudReady enables organizations to accurately and easily compare existing costs to the costs of cloud-computing. Combining a detailed assessment of existing infrastructure and applications with a configurable, cloud-based cost catalog, Exoprise delivers accurate, up-to-date TCO pictures that can help drive the development and execution of cloud strategies across the organization.